OT : Need to determine what the going rate is for a junior programmer

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Sep 10 00:01:49 MST 2010

salary.com
There's a quick ballpark value you can get for free, and you can pay a moderate fee ($99) to get detailed information including W4/1099 breakdowns and secondary factors for a single job.
For your case select the "salary wizard" on the front page, enter the job title ("Programmer" or "Software Engineer") and a ZIP code, when the results list comes up check the description until you find one that matches your experience expectations, then choose the "For Employers" results link.
You'll get ballpark general data right up front, and a link to buy the full detailed report (which asks a lot more questions to match your job requirements better) if it looks like you have the right result (or you can back up and try another title if you don't think you have the right job title).

I've been using it for years to benchmark the general market for various positions.