Need Help with Linux Video and Skype

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Sep 7 17:11:25 MST 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks to me like video playback is sucking hard - esp. if Youtube
> can crash it.
>
> I would start with youtube - are your video drivers set up correctly?

Not sure how to check this

> What happens when you run glxgears at the command line?

It ran ok (had to run it over ssh -X since the computer is in use right now)
mark at beagle:~$ glxgears
49 frames in 5.1 seconds =  9.638 FPS
39 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.781 FPS
39 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.760 FPS
37 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.317 FPS
39 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.723 FPS

> Do you have
> the latest flash player?

Probably not....don't use flash much.

> Youtube is all about video output.  Video4Linux is about input.  When
> Skype is working it does both video input and output.  You're blaming
> the input side when the experience with youtube suggests the problem
> is on output, not input.

I actually think there is an input problem. When I am connected through
skype to another computer, the audio works fine and I can see the other
person without any problem. No crashes. When I tell skype to turn on my
camera, it does not turn on (no red light) and just crashes. The iceweasel
crashing problem may not be related...I just connected them because they
both have a video component. I see now, based on your explanation, that they
are probably not related.

Mark