OPenFiler?

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:04:22 MST 2010

I have used OpenFiler for a few years now. It has been awesome. I have
even had it running as a virtual NAS appliance inside my VM server
(serving the network and other VM's) and it has performed incredibly
well. Have used to to feed excahnge and a 70+ user network for media
file server and iSCSI to a Xenserver and it performed like a champ.

I cannot compare it to NetApp but in and of itself has performed
incredibly well.

I know one of the things it does is convert ALL ram it does not need
for itself is converted to Disk Cache and doing a linux MD raid in
raid 6 i did not feel any of the normal Raid5/6 latancy with random
R/W as it had allot of IO for parity calculation. (it was likely there
but not as apparent as the CPU was a quad core harpertown and it had
8GB of ram to cache with)

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
> Anyone using Openfiler?  I understand it sweetly installs via an ISO now?
>
> Reference:  http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7890
>
> How does it stack up against say, NetApp?  What are the similarities?
>
> Would it scale, across a distributed network to something competitive with
> GFS  Gluster?
> What about Fiber Channel verses iSCSI?  What if we had a fully loaded HP or
> even white box with OpenFiler, is this, in your experience, fast enough to
> host end to end latency sensitive applications like IP Video?
>
> --
> HackFest Lab November 6 Gangplank.hq Noon-3PM
> 5 Flags submitted so far for you pentesters.
> Also showcasing DOCSIS 2.0, that allows for "channel" bonding via:
> Advanced Time Division Multiplexing (ATDMA), Synchronous Code Division
> Multiple Access
> (SCDMA) similar to the old data based 4 wire SS7 protocol.  Come Hack to
> Learn!
>
> Skype: 6022393392
> ATT:     5037544452
> GV:      6236883392