What in the World happened to the %#$&! keyboard? (Ubuntu 10.10)

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:45:34 MST 2010

A couple of things to try:
- If it is a wireless keyboard, try resyncing it (connent button).  I do not
know if the GUI can exert any influence over that sync-up or not but it is
easy to try.
- plug in an ADDITIONAL keyboard such as a USB one to see if a second
keyboard will work.
-try booting into single user mode with no GUI to look at those logs.
- the LiveCD is a good test too, I don't think you have replied to that one
yet

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Steve Phariss <sphariss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you try a diffrent keyboard?  They are pretty resiliant, but maybe the
> cord got crushed or crimped at some point...
>

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:
>
>>  You could get a list of every file that doesn't come from a package
>> (using a combination find and dpkg -S) and take a good look at what is left
>> over.  I have seen the little bit of junk that gets left over on an upgrade
>> cause some serious problems.  The most recent was on a couple of machines
>> that had been upgraded repeatedly having an old version of flash 7 stranded
>> on the machine that got loaded first, so a lot of flash stopped working.
>> Deleting the older flash fixed the problem.
>>
>> You might be able to just run computer-janitor on the system and have that
>> clean up the problem, but I'm guessing the easiest fix would be to backup
>> the home directory and pull a list of packages from the system, then do a
>> fresh install and feed the old list of packages back into the system.
>>
>> Did you upgrade via apt or with upgrade-manager, if the former, then
>> computer janitor will probably help a lot.
>>
>> Brian Cluff
>>

>> On 10/22/2010 11:13 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>>
>>> Did the keyboard work for a bit then suddenly stop working?
>>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu 10.10 some week ago (he's been running Ubuntu since
>>> 6.04)
>>> Everything worked as advertised.
>>> Then I don't what happened, his recollection is far from clever (he is
>>> 96).
>>> All I know is that now the GUI ignores the keyboard.
>>> As usual, I was just handed out the mess.
>>> ET
>>> PS: And yes, the hardware is OK...   :)

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson