performance when using a .htaccess

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Oct 22 16:00:39 MST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about performance when using a .htaccess file.  I have
> read that having multiple .htaccess files can slow Apache.  Meaning a
> .htaccess file in each directory.
>
> We have moved a ton of content, upwards of 900 pages.  About 600 of those
> have been moved from our blog which was located in the directory /blog.  It
> was suggested to break the .htaccess into files that reflect the content
> moved.  For example put a .htaccess file in the /blog directory that
> reflects all the content from the blog instead of one big .htaccess file in
> the doc root directory that would contain 900 redirects.

Well, that's better than FollowSymlinks?

The reason that multiple .htaccess file management can be slow and difficult
is that Apache2 searches each TREE and .htaccess files are inherited from
hierarchical directories.

A rewrite might actually be able to do exactly what you need?  have you
considered that?  Rewrite overhead is not huge, especially if you are
caching for this /blog URL?

> Thank you for your feedback.

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6923073392
Phoenix Linux Security Team <http://hackfest.obnosis.com>
PLUG.PHOENIX.AZ.US
http://www.it-clowns.com
*"Great things are not done by impulse but a series of small things brought
together." -Van Gogh*