performance when using a .htaccess

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 14:18:19 MST 2010

Hi,

I have a question about performance when using a .htaccess file.  I have read that having multiple .htaccess files can slow Apache.  Meaning a .htaccess file in each directory.

We have moved a ton of content, upwards of 900 pages.  About 600 of those have been moved from our blog which was located in the directory /blog.  It was suggested to break the .htaccess into files that reflect the content moved.  For example put a .htaccess file in the /blog directory that reflects all the content from the blog instead of one big .htaccess file in the doc root directory that would contain 900 redirects.

Thank you for your feedback.

Keith Smith