What in the World happened to the %#$&! keyboard? (Ubuntu 10.10)

mike at mjv.com mike at mjv.com
Fri Oct 22 11:04:33 MST 2010

May not be the keyboard - but the plug on the computer. Is it PS2 or USB?
If one, try a keyboard for the other and see if it works. ie - if it's
PS2, give a USB keyboard a try.

Be well,
Mike in Zone 8,
Texas
--
http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and
More...

On Fri,
October 22, 2010 10:56 am, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
> No
mine, my father's...

> He calls me to tell
me that the keyboard on his freshly Ubuntu 10.10
> install quit
working.  He can't even login because he can't type the

password.

> I tried the on-screen keyboard, which gets
blattanly ignored too, but I
> am unfamiliar with the resource, so
I could not draw anything conclusive
> out of it.
>
> I suspected a hardware failure, so I brought the keyboard home and
it
> tested OK.
>

> I went back to his
home and was able to manipulate the BIOS and get to
> the GRUB
menu by holding down the left shift key on boot, got a shell,

renamed his home directory to bypass whatever configuration he might
> inadvertently introduced, did dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
and
> rebooted.
>
> No keyboard...   :(
>

> WHAT IN THE $#!&^* WORLD HAPPENED TO THE
KEYBOARD!!!!

> Other that a fresh re-install
I don't know what to do...

> I hope somebody