What in the World happened to the %#$&! keyboard? (Ubuntu 10.10)

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri Oct 22 10:56:44 MST 2010

No mine, my father's...

He calls me to tell me that the keyboard on his freshly Ubuntu 10.10 install
quit working.  He can't even login because he can't type the password.

I tried the on-screen keyboard, which gets blattanly ignored too, but I am
unfamiliar with the resource, so I could not draw anything conclusive out of
it.

I suspected a hardware failure, so I brought the keyboard home and it tested
OK.

I went back to his home and was able to manipulate the BIOS and get to the
GRUB menu by holding down the left shift key on boot, got a shell, renamed
his home directory to bypass whatever configuration he might inadvertently
introduced, did dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg and rebooted.

No keyboard...   :(

WHAT IN THE $#!&^* WORLD HAPPENED TO THE KEYBOARD!!!!

Other that a fresh re-install I don't know what to do...

I hope somebody here has a better idea.
ET