Local mail exchange and remote website? FIXED

Sandeep Bains sandebains at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 10:36:04 MST 2010

I'm still bit puzzled on this. I think that the domain has no MX records
listed and it is working with A record only

Or if as per the email; MX was pointing to a CNAME and now it is pointing to
A?

If things were wrong (as per your old configuration), where were those
emails going to (in case you haven't made any changes on the system, they
should had been accepted)....

It will be interesting to see all the resource records for the domain.

As per the RFC the resolution should take place the following way

   Once an SMTP client lexically identifies a domain to which mail will
   be delivered for processing (as described in sections 3.6 and 3.7), a
   DNS lookup MUST be performed to resolve the domain name [22].  The
   names are expected to be fully-qualified domain names (FQDNs):
   mechanisms for inferring FQDNs from partial names or local aliases
   are outside of this specification and, due to a history of problems,
   are generally discouraged.  The lookup first attempts to locate an MX
   record associated with the name.  If a CNAME record is found instead,
   the resulting name is processed as if it were the initial name.  If
   no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as
   if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0,
   pointing to that host.  If one or more MX RRs are found for a given
   name, SMTP systems MUST NOT utilize any A RRs associated with that
   name unless they are located using the MX RRs; the "implicit MX" rule
   above applies only if there are no MX records present.  If MX records
   are present, but none of them are usable, this situation MUST be
   reported as an error.

Thanks,

Sandeep