Booting from a USB Drive

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Nov 30 23:10:18 MST 2010

The drive boots after all but only as far as grub.  I found out
earlier today that the grub menu comes up but it fails to find the
file systems for booting the actual system.  It looks like I will have
to rebuild the grub configuration or something.  So yes, you're right;
the drive should boot and the MBR does work; it's just the rest of it
that doesn't but that sounds more like a grub issue now rather than
booting from the USB drive.  Somehow while preparing this disk with
the Arch Linux installer, I think grub's identification of drives may
have been off or something.  I almost wrecked my windows internal disk
doing this some how but at least I salvaged that for now so I need to
walk on some egg shells while doing this I guess.