A survey engine?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Nov 13 09:56:49 MST 2010

Hi Alan,

How was DesertCodeCamp.com this year?

<pout> I had to work!

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Alan Dayley <adayley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I had forgotten about freshmeat.net.  They have several possibilities.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search?q=survey&submit=Search
>
> I installed Mod_Survey before leaving the office.  I'll look at it in
> more detail on Monday.

Yes. mod_survey is incredibly easy:

> Since it's perl, you WILL have to build everything.  Since it's perl, you
> GET TO build everything.

Be sure to get Web_Survey, an adjacent tool:
Web_Survey is a set of PHP scripts for managing populations and samples,
contacting respondents via email, and keeping track of answers. Web_Survey
does not have its own home page, but the latest tarball can be downloaded
here <http://www.modsurvey.org/download/test/websurvey_0.1.tar.gz>.
Web_Survey is developed by Mirko Pace

Other disadvantages of mod_survey include:
It's shell code; therefore not really complete;secure (but you can layer on
authentication)

I still question your assumption that you can't use an online survey tool
like surveymonkey or os

http://www.surveymonkey.com/
http://www.hostedsurvey.com/information-technology.html
http://Zoomerang.com
http://www.novisystems.com/Survey-Software-Price.aspx  Not Free $15.00  -
$350 a month

My Google.com search was very profitable (don't know what you were surfing
for?)!
And the list IS extensive.

Commercial:

.Net:  http://www.classapps.com/
http://www.surveysaid.com/Survey_Said/Home.html
php based: http://www.chumpsoft.com/products/phpq/features/  [includes mail
and export to cvs, html, etc] (way better than perl's mod_survey, since it
just installs and you use it!) WORTH the $ (although the interface is not
pretty).

Free:

LIMESURVEY:

LimeSurvey is a PHP survey software to create online surveys. Features
open/closed surveys, branching, participant administration, quotas, WYSIWYG
HTML editor, email invitations & reminders, assessments, basic statistics
and more.

http://www.limesurvey.org/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/limesurvey/files/1._LimeSurvey_stable/
http://docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=LimeSurvey+2.x+Installation

Limesurvey is about as good as it gets, BTW.

It's php and can use MSQL, MySQl, or Postgresql.
It is also secure, with no  current known exploits (1.52 has a remote code
execution issue).
http://www.exploit-db.com/search/?action=search&filter_page=1&filter_description=survey&filter_exploit_text=limesurvey&filter_author=&filter_platform=0&filter_type=0&filter_lang_id=0&filter_port=&filter_osvdb=&filter_cve=

Don't forget about Drupal plugins, Joomla modules, Wordpress mods, etc.

Gee these CHAT BOTS look fun also:

http://www.alicebot.org/non.html

> Alan
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes thing are elusive.  I tried "php survey software" on Google and
> found some free stuff.
> >

> > I have no idea what any of this is or if it is of any value.

> > Keith Smith

Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting

(503) 754-4452