Need Help with Apache AllowOverride

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 12 02:35:14 MST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Bryan O'Neal <
Bryan.ONeal at theonealandassociates.com> wrote:

> Ok - let us review what you are acomplishing here -
> You deny from everyone (Check)
> You Allow from your local lan 192.168.25.x (Check)
> You allow from some WAN ip (Fail)
> If you web ip is say 72.168.54.32 then that should work - What do you
> have in your error logs? If nothing else it should give you the ip
> address of what is being blocked so you can compare what you think is
> the correct IP - I would say make sure that you do not have a latter
> allow / deny statement set as Apache belies the last set always wins -
> And make sure you restart the service on every conf change ;)
>

> If you give me the errors I will look at those too.
>

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Mark Phillips
> <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> > I have a web server at webIP off site. I have a second server for photos
> > running a php photo gallery app behind apache at photoIP on my local LAN.
> > have a page on the web server that uses iframes to the photo server's
> > images.
> >
> > I am trying to restrice access to the photo server to requests from the
> web
> > server using apache Allowoverride on the photo server. Here is what I
> have:
> >
> > <VirtualHost photoIP:8080>
> >
> >         DocumentRoot /var/www/gallery
> >
> >         <Directory />
> >                 Options FollowSymLinks
> >                 AllowOverride None
> >         </Directory>
> >
> >         <Directory /var/www/gallery>
> >                 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> >                 AllowOverride All FileInfo Options
> >                 Order allow,deny
> >                 Deny from all
> >                 # internal access
> >                 Allow from 192.168.25.0/24
> >                 Allow from 127
> >                 # Web server
> >                 Allow from webIP
> >         </Directory>
> >
> >         ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/hammerhead/error.log
> >
> >         # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error,
> crit,
> >         # alert, emerg.
> >         LogLevel debug
> >
> >         CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
> >
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > I can access the photos from a machine on my local LAN, but not from
> hosts
> > off my LAN. The only way to get it to work is to change Deny from all to
> > Allow from all. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark

Hi Mark;

Verify via your access logs after accessing from externally with the Allow
all on, that you are presenting with a truely EXTERNAL source address.  Some
configurations might strip off source address and rewrite header for NAT.

Your external address IP's (matching the logs) should be added to your
configuration file:

VirtualHost photoIP:8080>

         DocumentRoot /var/www/gallery

         <Directory />
                 Options FollowSymLinks
                 AllowOverride None
         </Directory>

         <Directory /var/www/gallery>
                 AllowOverride All FileInfo Options
                 Order allow,deny
                 Deny from all
                 # internal access
                 Allow from 192.168.25.0/24
                 Allow from 127
                 # Web server
                 Allow from 69.50.203.0/24
         </Directory>

AND verify:

a)  That your Cox or DSL connection does not limit inbound port 8080
addresses.
b)  Port 8080 is forwarded inbound on your router, like 80 would need to be.

Make sense?
--
Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting