ganglia gmond/gmetric guide?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Mar 29 19:42:26 MST 2010

moin moin,

I'm using ganglia for something. Someone else set it up, but I need to add
a bunch of metrics ( that will then be alerted via nagios ).

Just using gmetric as is given in multiple examples isn't working.

gmetric --name distribution_release --value $( lsb_release -d | sed -re
's/Description:[[:space:]]*//' ) --type 'string'

Running that via sudo also doesn't show up in the ganglia display.

Both give exit status of 0.

It's not showing up in /var/ganglia/rrds.

Who should own those rrds files? We have them owned by root, but gmond
runs as an unprivileged user?

I also don't see that in /var/log/messages, which seems to be getting all
the gmond logs.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.