x86 vs. x86_64

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Fri Mar 26 07:41:20 MST 2010

This has always confused me a bit, so it seems like a good time to ask.

I have a machine running 32-bit Ubuntu.  It has 4GB of RAM.  I'd like
to use it as a host OS for several (maybe 6?) VM guests.  I thought it
would make sense to add more RAM before doing this, but I wasn't sure
if I'd be able to utilize the extra memory w/o changing to a 64-bit
host OS.  From reading this thread, it sound like I wouldn't need to
change over to a 64-bit host, since none of my guests would have
processes accessing more than 4GB of RAM.  Is that correct?

The guests will be server OSs, not running any GUI applications, so I
expect their resource utilization to be pretty slim.  I just need
somewhere to test multiple-box HA cluster configurations, and I don't
have the extra hardware lying around to do it with.

I'll probably use VMWare, but that's not settled.  If OpenVZ or
VirtualBox might have advantages for this kind of thing, I'm
interested in hearing about them. The host is Ubuntu, but the guests
will be RHEL5, so I think that means I can't use OpenVZ since they'll
have different kernel versions.  Someone correct me if I've got that
wrong.

thanks,
alex

ps - Apologies if this is thread-hijacking.