x86 vs. x86_64

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Thu Mar 25 22:17:55 MST 2010

Just to be pedantic; Matt is correct in his use of 'AND' with the
memory.  It is 'have more than 4GB RAM *AND* something that can use more
than 4GB in one process'.

Basically, this is due to PAE.  The PAE extension (which all modern CPUs
support) allow the OS to access up to 64GB of memory, even on a 32-bit
x86 system.  There's no need for a 64-bit processor for that.

HOWEVER, PAE doesn't permit a single process from mapping or allocating
more than 4GB.  That's where you'll need 64-bit processors.

And if you don't know for sure that you need that capability... then you
definitely don't.  It's very very rare (unless, of course, you are in
the fields that do need that and then you'd know that).