How to get video off of my camera?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 20:00:05 MST 2010

I had this problem last year using ubuntu (don't remember the version or
what programs I tried.  The .mov was on my Kodak Z812.  I did not try super
hard so there is probably a better solution, but what I did was to use
MovieMaker in Vista which was able to import the .mov file.  I then did some
simple edits and exported the result as another format.  I was able to use
THAT as input on the Linux system.

The .mov type is a container type like .avi and others.  You probably do not
have the codec (or something) required to process the contents.  In ubuntu,
you could install ubuntu-restricted-extras to get many of them.  I have
found Handbrake useful to trasform some video types into another and even
fix some problems (I did not know of it when I had the .mov).

Lastly, you could try just getting the file off the camera and onto your
hard drive without trying to treat it as a video.  It will then be easier to
experiment on.  IOW try to use a copy command from a terminal or a file
browser like Nautilus to simply copy or move the file to somewhere in youor
home directory tree.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think all of this is pointing to the way the camera is connecting to
> your system, and how the hardware is connected.
>
> i would take a look there and make sure the Os is really seeing the
> media correctly, then i think any app you use will be good to go.
>
> i know the output of lspci and... err i forget the other.. should have
> some clues.
>
> bot to keep it from being horrible boot the system. wait a min then
> plug in and then do lspci so it will mostly be at the bottom of the
> output.
>
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM,  <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> > I can't figure out how to copy videos off of my Kodak M863 Digital camera
> > onto my Linux system.
> >
> > I was able to use gphoto2 to copy still photos onto my older Mandriva
> > Linux system, but neither gphoto nor gphoto2 work on my newer Linux
> > system.
> >
> > Eventually, I found that I could get the photos off using digikam, but
> > while a video (.MOV) appears in the digikam list of captured images, when
> > I try to copy it off, an error results: "Failed to load image ..."
> >
> > Screen cap of the problem: http://www.upquick.com/linux/digikam.jpg
> >
> > Under multimedia applications on my system, there are 15 apps listed
> under
> > graphics and 14 apps listed under video, and while I have used several of
> > the graphics apps, I have not yet used any of the video apps.
> >
> > Screen cap of apps available:
> http://www.upquick.com/linux/graphic.video.jpg
> >
> > Hope some of my plug friends can advise me how to get my videos copied
> off
> > my camera onto my Linux box, and which video apps might work best.
> >
> > Recently someone on the list recommended "Open Movie Editor" as perhaps
> > the best video editor, but I have not been able to get the video on my
> > camera imported into it.
> >
> > Help!

> Stephen

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson