My introduction to the PLUG mail list (and more)! :D

Thomas Sapp tom.sapp at sappsworld.com
Sat Mar 20 19:27:24 MST 2010

Hello,
My name is Tom, I am new to PLUG and am hoping to find time to start
attending meetings.  Until then I hope to find some interesting
discussions here on this mailing list.

I've recently been playing around with creating a working LFS system and
have been having lots of fun at learning about all that goes in to
putting a working Linux system together.  Now that I am almost done with
the BLFS book, I was wondering if I might get some critique on my first,
what I would consider, real shell script.  I wrote it while going
through the process of downloading and compiling the various packages I
wanted/needed on my system.  I basically downloads the needed archives,
extracts them, runs the commands provided, and then removes the
extracted directory and downloaded archive from the system.  I added a
some easily replaceable placeholders that I can us the %s option in vim
on.  So far it has worked fairly well for me.  The code for it can be
found at http://pastebin.com/ESjVCmTF.

I am looking forward to hearing any advice regarding this and also
participating in this mailing list in the future.

--
Thanks,
Thomas Sapp