SSD vs. HDD Performance

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 14:59:03 MST 2010

I have done some real work on SSD and their performance is great Seek
times are non existent, throughput is about as good as the interface
gets.

but note if you do allot of disk read write they will fail sooner than
a regular HDD it is simply a wearing factor of the media.

The algorithms and the like built in are very good so you will likely
get a decent life from the drive.

the only 2 tests i have done on them personally were Web IO and DB IO
and they were about 10x as fast as a SATA 2 hdd overall (2 drive
mirror on a highpoint 3210)

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr3120.htm

I find Raid 0 gained me more performance with less money (or raid 10
if you want the redundancy) over a single drive.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
> I have read a dozen sites discussing various benchmarkings between myriad
> setup of SSD's vs. HDD's. I have not seen any code monkey reviews. Has any
> one purchased one of these for use in compiling code, or maybe you're a
> gentoo fan???
> I compile a ton of stuff everyday and I'm curious if it is worth the money
> to try a SSD. I also have several large database systems I would like to
> migrate to a SSD, but I have not looked for reviews with databases yet.
> Nathan

Stephen