Breaking in to a Harddrive

Stu wien33 at cox.net
Sun Jun 27 02:25:26 MST 2010

Alan Dayley wrote:
> If the hardware manufacturer implemented the ATA spec correctly, the
> password cannot be bypassed by any normal means.  That is, after all,
> what the password is supposed to do.
>
> With special knowledge of the specific hard drive model, not just the
> manufacturer, the model and even the specific firmware, one can find
> where the password is stored and erase or nullify it.  Oh, and you
> might need special equipment to get to that password on the platters.
>
> To put it another way, throw this hard drive away and go buy a new
> one.  It'll be less costly of your time.
>
> Alan

I have to agree with Alan on this one. If you have a passworded laptop
hard drive, you might as well toss it and buy a new one. I had one that
I experimented with just to see if I could wipe it out entirely, and had
no such luck. I even exchanged the board with an identical drive, and in
the end ran strontium magnets over the disk itself (like I said, it was
just an experiment - I didn't need the drive, and it was useless to me
as it was)
Big NADA~ The password is stored in a special section of the disk
itself, and is virtually impossible to get rid of by any means available
to ordinary human beings.
Save yourself the headaches, and get a new drive from Newegg or Geeks.
They're cheaper than your wasted time.

    Stu