Breaking in to a Harddrive

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Jun 22 19:40:11 MST 2010

If the hardware manufacturer implemented the ATA spec correctly, the
password cannot be bypassed by any normal means.  That is, after all,
what the password is supposed to do.

With special knowledge of the specific hard drive model, not just the
manufacturer, the model and even the specific firmware, one can find
where the password is stored and erase or nullify it.  Oh, and you
might need special equipment to get to that password on the platters.

To put it another way, throw this hard drive away and go buy a new
one.  It'll be less costly of your time.

Alan