OT: Net Nuetrality and the World Cup

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Fri Jun 11 13:52:27 MST 2010

I have largely stayed out of the net neutrality debate as I don't really
understand both sides.

I do not have access to cable tv of any kind, but I have Cox for my internet
access. When the Olympics were on I could not watch them online because I do
not have a windows PC, so NBC was off limits. While other countries had the
olympics broadcast online I could not figure out a way to watch them because
I am in the US. However, if I used a public proxy in Mexico, which I feel
more than fine doing since I live 2 miles from the border, I was able to
watch the olympics on several internet sites.

Now, I am trying to watch the World Cup. Yesterday, I was able to watch all
day long the pre-game coverage and the concert through Cox and ESPN3. But
today I cannot access the actual games. It seems if I go to ESPN3 I must be
a member of a supporting company, which Cox is because the whole site says