How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 08:46:35 MST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> My original question was, "How can I shrink the ntfs file system /dev/sda5
> shown in this screen capture: http://upquick.com/linux/gparted1.png
> to make room to increase the size of my Linux home partition /dev/sda8 ?
> I've used ntfsresize to reduce the size of the sda5 partition from 158 gig
> to 67 gig, but gparted will not allow me to shrink (resize) sda5. The
> "Resize/Move" option in gparted is grayed out as shown in the screen
> capture. So what else can I do to shrink sda5?
>
> Among the replies so far, none address the question that I asked.
>
> - Some emphasized the need to defrag win. I've already done that.
> - Some said use a 3rd party resizer. I've already done that.
> - Some said backup files. I've already done that.
> - One said to fire up Ubuntu to define the partitions.
> --- I don't have Ubuntu, but I do have gparted.
> - One explained that gparted cannot shrink properly when files are
> scattered. But, as I originally stated, I have already defragged,
> and I have already successfully resized the windows partition.
> - One cautioned that I will need to move sda6 and 7 into the free space
> before I can increase the size of sda8.
>
> All that is fine and helpful ... however, it does not answer my original
> question.
>
> The problem is that gparted will not allow me to shrink the existing
> windows partition that is already resized from 158 to 67 gig.
>
> Again, how can I get gparted to shrink the windows partition that
> is already successfully resized?

Why do you say it has been resized and then show that according to gparted
it has NOT been resized?  I had assumed that your ntfsresize was either
backed out or was not actually successful.  BTW, if you used recent versions
of gparted et al, they used a newer version of ntfsresize under the covers
to do that job more successfully.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson