How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 08:41:39 MST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> How can I shrink the ntfs file system /dev/sda5 shown in the following
> screen capture:
>
> - - - http://upquick.com/linux/gparted1.png - - -
>
> to make room to increase the size of my Linux home partition /dev/sda8 ?
>
> I've used ntfsresize to reduce the size of the sda5 partition from 158 gig
> to 67 gig, but gparted will not allow me to shrink (resize) sda5.  The
> "Resize/Move" option in gparted is grayed out as shown in the screen
> capture.
>
> So what else can I do to shrink sda5?

1) If you are running gparted from ubuntu, be sure you do not have sda5
mounted
2) If it will not allow you to resize sda5 and it is a Vista or Win7
partition, you may want to use Windows to resize its own partition.  Windows
may have placed its page (swap) file and/or Restore files near the end of
that partition and marked them as unmovable.  Start Windows, turn off paging
and restore functions, go to disk management (under computer management) and
shrink the partition (you may need to restart first).  Then turn paging and
Restore back on.
3) you will need to move/resize your linux partitions so use a live CD to do
that job.  Also you may need to use "noswap" for the live CD if you need to
move the swap partition.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson