How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

gk gm5729 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:41:02 MST 2010

Well the first thing I would ask you is what is your final goal?

A full on Linux box or a dual boot.

If a full on linux box I would nuke the drive and make a separate / , swap
and /home areas.

IF its a dual boot. That depends. But the first thing you will need to do
is at a minimum defrag Windows 2x. If this i XP, then a 3rd party resizer
will have to be used. Believe me this takes a LONGggg time. If it is Vista
or W7 they have native resizers that can be found by using the help
feature. They are kind of hidden features and not well promoted. Then with
the free space you can do what you like.

Remember it will always be easier on yourself if Windows is installed
first and then Linux as Windows likes to take over the MBR.

gk

--
Remember, it's not that we have something to hide; it's that we have
nothing to show.

--Keep tunneling.