June west side topic?

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Thu Jun 3 06:38:29 MST 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> as I mentioned last week, we need a June west side topic before the devel
> meeting, which is tomorrow ( will probably be today by the time you read
> this ).
>
> If we do have a topic, there are funds to purchase pizza. We will need a
> volunteer to arrange for the pizza.
>
> The meetings are now at DeVry near I-17 and Dunlap. It's pretty easy to
> get to due to being near the freeway. It's a couple of mile from the end
> station on the rail.
>
> Ideally, we'll have 2 or 3 presentations that take up to a half hour each.
> We need at least one announced before the devel meeting in a week.
>
> If we don't have at least one presentation before the devel meeting
> Thursday evening, I will cancel June's west side meeting.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
> #  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.
> #  "The babys blood type? Human, mostly."  -- Orson Scott Card
>

> If we don't have at least one presentation
> before [deadline], I will cancel
> June's west side meeting.

Just my 0.02.
I sometimes enjoy W side meetings where we just talk informally, outside of
any pre announced presentation.

Of course, it is usually after some presentation, either one that lasted
less time than the entire meeting, or one that somehow fell through or got
canceled.

I do not have any monopoly on knowing when/whether it is appropriate to
cancel a meeting.  Far from it.

But I would think that, if there were ever going to be a meeting, where
people might show up even though they were not sure what topic[s] would be
discussed, then having refreshments [e.g. pizza] pre-announced would
probably help.

Just a thought.  An idea.
YMMV. :-)
--