Slicehost / xen hosting size

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 1 15:33:11 MST 2010

From: Steve Phariss <sphariss at gmail.com>
> Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
>> From: Steve Phariss <sphariss at gmail.com>q
>>> runs OSCommerce, Wordpress, Zenphoto, IMAP, Roundcube (or other webmail)
>>> Any ideas on proper sizing?
>> How much traffic per day does the server get?  How much disk space do all
>> the things installed and all the user data take up?
>> FWIW, the smallest slicehost (256M/10G/150G) works reasonably well, but
can
>> and will become unresponsive and require a manual reboot if it gets a huge
>> amount of traffic in a short time.  http://crow202.org/slicehostd.html
> Web Traffic is pretty low, about 50M a day,  Plus about 2G/mo for email and
> other traffic.  I would need some sort of control panel (webmin perhaps) as
> well.

Slicehost doesn't provide a pointy-clicky anything.  You can install and use
whatever you want on a slicehost, though, which means you can easily put
webmin on your slice if you so desire.

> I am thinking the 256 plan should work from a traffic perspective, but
> would it be enough for the apps?

wordpress + mysql + apache2 + postfix on a 256M slice = works well.  The thing
is that I need to run something like the daemon referenced in the URL above,
or things can and will stop working due to traffic spikes causing RAM
exhaustion.  I don't know the CPU/RAM requirements for OSCommerce or Zenphoto,
though, so adjust for those things.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows