Slicehost / xen hosting size

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jun 1 08:35:08 MST 2010

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Matt Graham wrote:

> From: Steve Phariss <sphariss at gmail.com>

>> looking at slicehost and a couple other hosts but I am not
>> sure of the size host I should get (or even the best
>> company to go with).  The website runs OSCommerce,
>> Wordpress, Zenphoto, IMAP, Roundcube (or other webmail)
>> and one or two various web apps for testing.  She also
>> hosts short term, low traffic websites for misc uses.
>>
>> Any ideas on proper sizing?

> How much traffic per day does the server get?  How much disk space do all the
> things installed and all the user data take up?  What's the average load on
> the machine?  The answers to those questions will determine the size of the
> host you need.  I'm using the smallest slicehost available because I just
> don't need that much CPU.

I did a 'show and tell' talkthrough at a UAT meeting perhaps 6
weeks ago, of the 'pmman' virtual server product.  One aspect
it has is an ability to dial up ram and hard drive space (and
bandwidth soft-caps) after the base install under the end
user's control, in just seconds

Steve, please contact me offlist for a 30 day trial instance,
gratis, to see if it meets your needs.
 	http://www.pmman.com/

-- Russ herrold