Slicehost / xen hosting size

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 1 08:21:10 MST 2010

From: Steve Phariss <sphariss at gmail.com>
> looking at slicehost and a couple other hosts but I am not sure of the size
> host I should get (or even the best company to go with).  The website runs
> OSCommerce, Wordpress, Zenphoto, IMAP, Roundcube (or other webmail)  and
one
> or two various web apps for testing.  She also hosts short term, low
traffic
> websites for misc uses.
>
> Any ideas on proper sizing?

How much traffic per day does the server get?  How much disk space do all the
things installed and all the user data take up?  What's the average load on
the machine?  The answers to those questions will determine the size of the
host you need.  I'm using the smallest slicehost available because I just
don't need that much CPU.

FWIW, the smallest slicehost (256M/10G/150G) works reasonably well, but can
and will become unresponsive and require a manual reboot if it gets a huge
amount of traffic in a short time.  I wrote a daemon that has worked very well
at keeping a small slicehost up and responsive;
http://crow202.org/slicehostd.html

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows