(ALTERNATIVES) How 'rsync' two in a script with one password?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sat Jul 17 09:25:45 MST 2010

> One way to "provide the password once per connection" is using sshfs:
>
> sshfs user at remotehost:/path/I/care /where/I/want/it
>
> Give your password and the mount will persist until either machine is
> booted or the connection dies.
>
> Now you can:
> rsync -[all I want] /path/to/save/ /where/I/want/it

Thanks ET. While I plan to try to set up the key based authentication that
Bryan explained, this sshfs looks like a good alternative. However, I
don't quite understand the sshfs example, especially the "/path/I/care"
part and all the rest that should follow on the sshfs line. How would I do
that in the example that I originally provided?

# update.blue

sshfs (what goes here?):/(what goes here?)/ (what goes here?)

rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/upquick/
vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/upquick/

rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/zip/ vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/zip/

rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/av7/ vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/av7/