Project Update

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sun Jan 31 23:10:37 MST 2010

A few details:

Fedora = Community based "bleeding-edge" distro
begets
RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) = Proprietary long-term distro
shadowed by
CentOS = Community version of RHEL long-term distro

OpenSUSE = Community based "bleeding-edge" distro
begets
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) = Proprietary long-term distro
shadowed by
Nothing => there is no community version of SLES

I guess there is also:

Ubuntu = Community based "bleeding-edge" distro
begets
Ubuntu Long Term Suport (LTS) = Community long-term distro

I'm not aware of a proprietary "enterprise" version of Ubuntu in the
same vein as RHEL and SLES.  I know that LTS is geared to compete with
them but it really "feels" more like CentOS.  Maybe when Canonical
matures a bit more?