Project Update

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Jan 31 18:30:45 MST 2010

Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> If it was me I would look for a distribution that had newer bits (Samba
> & etc)
> than CentOS5.4
>
> Perhaps OpenSuSE-11.2 or similar.

Newer etc? ;)

I am a little disappointed that CentOS5 doesn't have a more recent
Samba, but newer Samba rpms for EL5 are available from sernet.de.

I agree with Steve that CentOS will likely have better stability. I'm
not sure that changing distros in order to get more current packages is
a good strategy. When desirable pieces are missing from a given distro,
they can often be found already packaged in alternate places (yum
repositories, or yum repos if you're lucky). I wouldn't expect any
distro to necessarily have all of the software that might be desirable
for a given host configuration.

--
-Eric 'shubes'