Looking for a mentor/adviser

sean at theparsonsfamily.com sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Fri Jan 29 11:14:51 MST 2010

Well, I am trying to build as close an equivalent to my existing all
Microsoft network as possible using Linux based solutions in order to
determine if I can migrate away from Microsoft. At the same time attempt
to learn more about Linux. I am using Small Business Server 2003 Standard
and 3 Server 2003 machines to host my corporate network, I have about 30
workstations and these assets are distributed across to offices in
Albuquerque and Phoenix. We use Exchange for mail, I have 3 domain
controllers for AD. We use office 2007 for typical files and I use
networked printers. I am not using much from SQL except for sharepoint but
there are other options for that.

As far as giving you specifics, how do you define an unknown? I can't
explain what Linux can do vs Windows, as it's not apples-apples and
oranges-oranges. Listing everything out and trying to keep things focused
in a forum like this is going to be a monumental effort on top of the
actual project. I can't debate 4 different opinions about which mail
transport agent/client is best, I'm more interested in choosing one and
trying to see if I can make it work, at this point.

That is why I set out to build a sandbox with the aide of someone with
more experience than I, to attempt to build as much equivalent
functionality as possible to see where it gets me/us. I have no plan to
use it in a production environment and if I decide to actually convert, I
would plan a project for that separately, with more specifics, and
hopefully my experience will have improved as well.

I have unsuccessfully attempted to reproduce various pieces (Samba, Cups,
DNS, etc) and join them to the existing domain and had 0% success in
making it work with my existing network. So keeping them separate is my
only option at this point.

I have allocated four machines for use and a portion of my network, I can
even allocate static IPs. I have planned for 2 servers and 1-2 workstation
machines, I can bring them to installfest, but I'd need a lot of support
equipment to hook them up into something usable.

I still have concerns about this forum as I am new and getting 20
different conflicting suggestions will not be a constructive learning
environment, not to mention monopolizing this forum.