Do I need more RAM?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Jan 21 09:37:15 MST 2010

LOL.....Thanks to everyone for helping me do a better job of phrasing my
question....;-)  and for your good suggestions.

I agree, one can always use more
(clean) air
FOOD
BEER (wine for some)
RAM, CPU,s, (but maybe not ROM)

I should have said...."Given a miniscule budget with no extra cash laying
around (other than in my pocket or the newspaper class teacher's pocket), I
am faced with two options to spend money.
A - $50/year for an additional 2GB of disk space, which is enough for the
next year or so, and we need that disk space for articles and photos.
B - $109/year for 8GB of additional disk space (don't need all that now, but
will grow into it), 180 MB of RAM (do I really need it?) and additional
bandwidth that I don't need."
Both amounts are due up front - ie discounted over the normal monthly cost
for up front payment and non-profit status.

The minimum RAM requirement (from the documentation) for a Plone site is
512MB. But I have run many small sites on less and they work just fine. This
one is a case in point.

The results of free -t:

Mem:        368836     363408       5428          0      24248      51712
-/+ buffers/cache:     287448      81388
Swap:       524280      47180     477100
Total:      893116     410588     482528

Can someone help me interpret these numbers? Based on "The "-/+
buffers/cache:" line will tell you how much memory the system is
taking because nobody else is using it." I would conclude that the OS (ie
the "system") as opposed to the application is using most of the memory
because it can, so the app is not being starved. But I can argue the other
way as well, so I am a little lost.

For what it is worth, Plone/Zope are Python beasts. Is there a way to see if
any of the application is in swap versus RAM? The system does not have a
noticeable lag when pages are accessed - it is not instantaneous, but faster
than my Google apps account.  ;-)

Thanks!

Mark