Do I need more RAM?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Thu Jan 21 08:54:22 MST 2010

Do I need more air?
Do I need more FOOD?
Do I need MORE BEER!!!

Give more, MORE, MOOOREEEE!!!!
Gawd, I need more Prozac too...   :)

You will never have too much memory, or extrapolating to aviation:
The only time I have too much fuel is when the airplane is on fire...  ;-)

top alone will only hand you part of the picture.
Try:
free -t
Look at the line:
 -/+ buffers/cache: XXXX

Memory is used by buffers that are there only for efficiency, but will be
returned to the system on demand.  Sometimes very little used stuff will go
to swap, and adding memory will not really help anything (and it won't hurt
anything either, other than your checkbook)

The "-/+ buffers/cache:" line will tell you how much memory the system is
taking because nobody else is using it.
YMMV...
ET

PS: And that "airplane on fire" wisdom is not always true, but works for
novice pilots...
Or:
My job is not to teach how to fly.
My job is to help you stay alive while you learn...  :)