Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:31:40 MST 2010

For learning, I actually prefer Ruby, it should be included in you Ubuntu also.  Its a much purer form of object orientation, and therefore much more consistent.  This consistency IMHO makes the language easier to learn for a novice since you will spend less time fighting inconsistencies in the language.  I would also recomend NetBeans, also in the Ubuntu Repositories as a programming IDE, it has full support for many languages such as Ruby and Python.

Python is a much more popular language, but has some design quirks that may confuse a novice when trying to move to a stronger language like Ruby, Java, and C++.  While I would not recommend Python as your first language, once you have properly learned OOP, you can move to a language like Python that is not fully OOP (no polymophism, no protected and private methods, no data hiding, poor class integrity, etc).  Python's failure to hold onto strict OO principles provide many advantages, just not to someone learning their first language.

Good Luck with learning to program, it can be quite rewarding.

Kevin

Sent from my Nokia phone