Why does 'ssh' and 'scp' work to one and not another?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 11 19:25:31 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 18:47 -0700, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> .
> craig white wrote:
> > let me see now... you don't want to look at 17,000 lines but I should?
>
> No, Craig, you definitely should not ... and I am very sorry to have
> caused you such exasperation toward me.
>
> I sincerely appreciate the constructive suggestions that so many helpful
> friends on the PLUG forum provide and I am just trying to respond to each
> suggestion with whatever information I can provide as I continue to search
> for a solution to this problem.
----
I'm not sure why you should think I am exasperated with you. I really
don't have any investment in your problem.

I often find on this list (and maybe some other lists), someone with a
problem really has a larger problem than the particular issue of the
moment and that is they don't seem to possess the skills to solve
problems. Then of course there are people who have trouble discerning
which people are offering useful information and which people are just
tossing out ideas without much consideration.

So I try to teach people the process itself of solving the problem for
themselves.

In your particular case, I would be surprised if the logs don't tell you
exactly what your particular issue is and so the notion of people
hurling suggestions at you just becomes a fairly useless exercise that
tells you little except what they are guessing might be the problem. I
can't see any logic to the idea of guessing when I believe that the
system is working as it should and is actually logging the problem.

Let's put it another way...
On Windows, there is 'Event Viewer' (yes, IIS saves to log files in %
SYSTEM ROOT%System 32\Log file and...
Macintosh has 'Console' application for viewing logs
Linux has /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog, etc.

The first place to look is the logs... doesn't matter what OS you are
using. It's the first step of problem solving on any computer.

So if you want to keep chasing down everyone's guess, have at it.

If you want to solve your particular issue, start with the logs.

If you want to actually learn how to manage your own computers, learn
the process of solving problems which begins with learning how to look
at the logs.

Craig

believed to be clean.