runaway process udisks-daemon and how to resolve?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Dec 21 19:31:03 MST 2010

udisks_daemon is part of DBUS and UDEV.  It's the DBUS device manager for the disks on the machine.
I have also had issues with DBUS and UDEV elements locking up the system from time-to-time.
The only solution I've found so far is to restart the machine on occasion, just like I used to have to do with Windows back when I ran that mess.
I have only found this instability in desktop environments like Gnome and KDE; I have no similar stability issues with the servers I run.
It seems that the current versions of Gnome and KDE have uncovered issues in the DBUS and UDEV subsystems with their increasing heavy (ab)use of DBUS.

You might also try the XFCE desktop and see if that works for you; I believe ORCA still works on XFCE, and its less complex use of DBUS might allow the system to be more stable.