How to start a video from command line or menu?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Dec 17 12:26:43 MST 2010

From: joe at actionline.com
> 'gmplayer' is not found on my system or in synaptic.
> 'xine' also is not found, although a lot of packages
> with 'xine' in the names are found, but I can't tell
> which ones would be the main 'xine' program.

That's really weird, unless the mplayer people have changed the names of
things again, or made it so that "mplayer --gui" now does what "gmplayer" used
to do.

But xine is separated into xine-ui and xine-lib.  The idea was that the codecs
would probably change a lot more often than the UI code, so there would be
fewer updates if the packages were separated.  Running "apt-get install
xine-ui" should install the xine-lib dependencies unless this distro has
really messed up their dependency tracking.  (Not sure why anyone would
install xine-aa, though....)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows