How to start a video from command line or menu?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Fri Dec 17 11:43:53 MST 2010

> From: joe at actionline.com
>> From the command line, I can type: mplayer samplevideo.wmv
>> and that opens a terminal window and starts mplayer,
>> but how can I do that without having the terminal window also open
>> so that only the target video opens?

Matt Graham answered:
> mplayer is the command-line video player.  gmplayer is the GUI video
> player. So try gmplayer instead.  Or use xine, whichever.

'gmplayer' is not found on my system or in synaptic.
'xine' also is not found, although a lot of packages
with 'xine' in the names are found, but I can't tell
which ones would be the main 'xine' program.

Installed are: xinetd, xine-plugins, xine-pulse, libxine1.

Also available in synaptic are these:
gxine, gxine-mozilla, libxine (several), xine-aa, xine-browser-plugin,
xine-caca, xine-dxr3, xine-esd, xine-faad, xine-flac, xine-gnomevfs,
xine-image, xine-jack, xine-plugins, xine-pulse, xine-sdl, xine-smb,
xinetd, xinetd-simple-services, xine-ui, xine-ui-aa, xine-ui-fb,
xine-wavpack.