rsync help the gramma

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Thu Dec 9 04:08:03 MST 2010

This is true - if you change the destination folder you do copy
everything because rsync does not know you copied anything before.
Rsync syncs. Thus if you wish to sync /my/files/ and
/media/my/backupfiles/ it copies everything from files to back up
files on the first run then every subsequent run it copies changes.
But if I ask it to now sync my/files/ and /media/my/NEW/backupfiles/
it must first copy every thing again because non of the files in
/my/files exist in /media/my/NEW/backupfiles/

If you want to have say /my/files backed up every day with that days
changes but you also want to keep track up each change separately (aka
have a snap shot for every month) so you can go back to prior
versions, then you want to look at rsyncs cousin rsnapshot.

Used in combination with rsync rsnapshot keeps track of changes by
copying files that have changed and creating links to previously
copied files that have not changed.

Here is a quick blog post and a set of narrated presentation slides I
did on rsync and rsnapshot a while back
http://mlwtech.blogspot.com/2009/04/rsync-and-ssh-keys-presentation-on.html

The audio auto-play and self progressing slide features are all messed
up because I did the auto-play stuff on a windows box but if your
interested you can play each slides associated mp3 manually. I keep
thinking I am going to go fix this by simply web linking the
associated auto play mp3 files or manually dealing with relative paths
but I am a bit busy... But I digress! The post and associated slides
are good and you may find the info very useful :)