rsync help the gramma

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:26:35 MST 2010

One thing I might point out though is that you (Betty) said you did the
backup about once a month and your example shows rsyncing to a directory
named for the month (October).  That's fine but some people use rsync to
update a single backup destination so they don't keep each backup
separately.  You choice which best suits you, but I thought it worth
mentioning.

Larry

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:

> Yes, I commend you for going for the command line tools like that.
> Tackling rsync is no slouch by any means.  Frankly, I can rarely
> remember all the command line options for rsync and have to either
> constantly look at the man page or previous working examples.  I would
> also create little one or two line shell scripts with these commands
> in them and then just run the script each month or whenever.  That's
> why Joseph's script example had the '$1' and '$2' thingies in there.
> those can then be substituted by just putting in the names of the
> paths and run the script.  Also, I believe Joseph's example included
> the --delete option.  However, I don't recall what is actually being
> deleted at that point.  Might wanna check to be sure there.
>
> Also, if you get more adventuresome in the future, you might wanna
> look at a program called rdiff-backup.  It uses rsync under the hood
> and allows for optional inclusions and exclusions like rsync does but
> allows for staging different backup sets over time and yes, each
> subsequent backup is just the differences.  Plus then if you need to
> restore a file from the most recent backup, it is merely a mirror of
> your current environment so you can just copy the desired item to be
> restored.  But rsync is a good start and an excellent way to sync up
> two computers over a network too.
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:18:01PM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> > Do not think yourself stupid!  I know software developers who are
> > afraid of anything on a command line.  The fact that you are using
> > rsync is a long ways from anything close to stupid!
> >
> > Excellent work.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com>
> wrote:
> > > ok, great, so do i just do this;
> > >
> > > stormy at stormy-desktop:~$ rsync -avEHh /home/stormy/ /media/october
> > >
> > > or do i do this :
> > > stormy at stormy-desktop:~$ rsync -avEHh --delete-after --progress
> > > /home/stormy/ /media/october
> > >
> > > sorry to be so stupid, but i rely on you guys for this ;)
> > > thank you!!
> > > betty

> only

> and

> preserve

> ratio
>  If

> that

> /media/october

> the

> me

> > > --
> > > betty i.
> > > www.webcanine.com
> > > information for people
> > > who care for dogs.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson