Booting from a USB Drive

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 08:47:21 MST 2010

Fantastic!  And where did you find this mkinitcpio.conf? Was that in Arch
Linux?  Did you look in any others (sounds like not yet)?  And what did you
have to do after adding the usb entry (like remaster an iso, or ...)?

Larry

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:

> GOOD NEWS!!!
>
> I got it working.  I can now boot on this external drive without
> having to jump start from a live cd and chroot or any of that.
>
> It seems that my mkinitcpio.conf did not include 'usb' as one of the
> hooks for building the initial RAMFS image.  I figured the RAMFS was
> failing some how since the usb drive hadn't been formerly listed in
> the startup sequence.  So I added usb to the list of hooks and she's
> working now.  I don't know a whole lot about the insides of mkinitcpio
> or if this configuration is common accross most distros but I got mine
> working and I guess that's what really matters.
>
> Thanks to all of you for your helpful answers and ideas.
>
> Now off to fix my wireless challenge <smile>.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson