Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

David Demland demland at cox.net
Tue Dec 7 20:37:52 MST 2010

I had to address this at work recently and we are moving to SVN. There were many factors that were import to me for a tool select that have not been talked about here. For example it was extremely important that a particular version matched what was deployed in the field, and that this version was automatically updated in source files after the code was checked in and done before the final build. It was also important that the system was able to handled in a work order type process so that each and every fix could be tied to an issue. There are many way for these items to be handled, as well as others, but we found that SVN provided the best overall solution. I have written a paper on others issues that a version control system needs to address if you would like to read it. It is found at: http://worldaccordingtodave.com/ReferenceMaterial/Papers/UsingVersionControl.aspx.

David