Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Tue Dec 7 15:07:37 MST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Thomas Gail Haws <tom.haws at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's what you would think.  And that's what Git does (in a devious, compact, efficient way that's better than saving a version of the entire file).  Which may help explain why it's so well received.
> Tom
> --
> "To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness." - Dr. Robert Muller
>

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I guess I need to dig deeper.  I thought that was the core of what a versioning system does -  saves each version at commit so you will have a different file each time you "save".
>>
>> ------------------------
>> Keith Smith

Hi Keith - weather you go SVN or Git of something else - you might
want to read the first parts of the Red Bean book - it is a good intro
to general version contro issues. If you like Subversion you should
look into Trac as a nice project environment
[http://trac.edgewall.org/] that I should probably do a presentation
on fairly soon.

For the website config, or DNS config etc I would go with Subversion
because having a "just one deployed known good" config will aid your
sanity - and if you ever deploy Cfengine, well, you're all set to go.
On the devel side, Talk to your developers, you may find they already
are big Git users.

Subversion does locking and the pre-commit hooks can be useful too.

>> Obviously there is no absolutely certain way to prevent someone from
>> overwriting another person's changes. However with GIT you would get a
>> more comprehensive way to compare and evaluate changes to figure out
>> how to solve the issue when such things happen. I prefer SVN myself,
>> but only more for familiarity than any other reason.

This is Git's real strength because your developers will all be peers
- one of the reasons I think Linus wrote git the way he did was so
that each developer would have a Linux repository, first class and
real, and that the Linux kernel as most of us know it is really "just"
Linus's Linux repo. So he can retire anytime he wants.  ;)

Ed