Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Dec 7 13:21:02 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 09:19 -0600, Alex Dean wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:29 PM, keith smith wrote:
> > I'm looking at version systems for two different projects each on their own server.  I used Subversion about 3 years ago for just a few week so I have little recall of subversion.
> >
> > I was doing some research and it seems Git is emerging.  That makes me believe that I should look at Git and install/learn/use it.  Of course before I venture down this path, I always like to ask the experts.
> >
> > Thank you for your insight on Subversion Vs. Git.
>
> After 4+ years using subversion, I initially found git to be incredibly complex.  I've gotten more comfortable with git after using it a while, but for my purposes it isn't offering anything hugely compelling.  In theory the distributed nature of git is quite appealing.  In practice, it's not solving a problem that any of my current projects actually have.  We have used git here and there for small things, but our main applications will stay in svn.  That being said, GitHub is really really cool, and an excellent usage of git's characteristics.

When we converted Inkscape over from Subversion to Bazaar one thing that
I found handy about Bazaar was that you could keep the same work flow
that you had with Subversion.  While you can support Git style
workflows, you don't have to if you don't want to.  So we still have
some developers that aren't using the advantages of a DVCS and some that
are.  Of course, YMMV :)

		--Ted