Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

Thomas Gail Haws tom.haws at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:49:55 MST 2010

Keith,

You know how much of an expert I am, but I have put some serious mind share
into groking Git in the past month, and I can speak to it a bit.  (My
previous experience was with CVS.)

I personally wouldn't bother with anything but Git if I had the choice.  I
would install it, then play a bit with a little one file project.  I don't
know how other Software Control Systems work behind the scenes, but Git does
this:

1.  Your actual project files and folders are called a repository.  You
could conceivably have more than one repository on a user account, but
that's not the main idea.  The main big idea is that each user account has
one project repository.  Git puts itself into the .git folder in that
repository's root.

2.  Git keeps snapshot track of every point of status of every branch of
that repository.  When you check out (switch to) a branch, Git makes sure
you have added (staged) and committed all your edits from the branch you are
in first, then actually edits all the files in your repository to bring them
to the state of the branch you are switching to.  It's quite amazing to me,
to tell the truth.

I suggest you watch Linus Torvalds at Google talking about Git before you
make a decision or even try to use Git.  Another good thing to do is Google
"Git work flow"

Tom

--
"To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will
receive untold peace and happiness." - Dr. Robert Muller