Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

Austin William Wright diamondmagic at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 6 21:49:15 MST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at version systems for two different projects each on their own server.  I used Subversion about 3 years ago for just a few week so I have little recall of subversion.
>
> I was doing some research and it seems Git is emerging.  That makes me believe that I should look at Git and install/learn/use it.  Of course before I venture down this path, I always like to ask the experts.

Git absolutely. Git is the software that made me stop hating revision
control systems so much (now if there's a good build system software
somewhere...). I'm planning on giving a talk on that for PLUG about a
month from now, actually.

I have no clue how SVN ever became popular, even CVS has tags and
branches, SVN doesn't even have that. Git's model for revisions (refs
and the acyclic directed graph) just seems so common sense it's hard
to imagine why no one used it. I would go as far to say Git is *fun*.
Branches are *literally* a 41-byte file so it's incredibly cheap to
create a new testing or feature branch. Probably my favorite feature
is the index/staging area which represents the next commit, you can
commit just portions of files instead of everything.

This is a great talk Linus gave on why not to use anything else
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Austin Wright.