GRUB and 3rd Party software conflict

ChasM Marshall chasm750 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 22:46:12 MST 2010

Hiya,

 I first read something about Adobe Publisher (full install) using a part
of track zero.  They directly write there, outside of O.S. processes, to
lock in their copy protection to a one machine installation.  Nice guys.
Later, I read that GRUB 2.0 is trying to use the same bytes.
 Last write wins.  :-(

> blindly overwriting hard disk content between the MBR and the first partition

  Yep. I've heard about it.  There've been some "work-arounds" talked about that
utilize Grub's MBR backup facility, backup-before and restore-after, the Windows boot.
This contains the damage and recovers the ability to boot to a Grub menu.
The Windows bootloader is not dynamic like Grub.  That is, Grub can interactively
change the MBR, on the fly, and needs no secondary program (lilo-install, fixmbr.exe).
The older Grub (prior to 1.0) stays in the first 512 bytes, and won't be affected.
Microsoft is stuck in the middle of this, and prolly won't do anything.

  Personally, I think if you give that much money to Adobe for an MS based program...
Good money after bad.  Use an Apple machine instead.

  (-:  Chas.M.  :-)