GRUB and 3rd Party software conflict

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 09:32:14 MST 2010

Apparently both GRUB and some 3rd party Windows software make use of
something called the "embedding area" of a hard disk and not standardized.
The result is apparently a possibility for both to use the same space and
for that software to make GRUB unable to boot the system.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/08/28/2112208/Some-Windows-Apps-Make-GRUB-2-Unbootable
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~cjwatson/blosxom/debian/2010-08-28-windows-applications-making-grub2-unbootable.html<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/%7Ecjwatson/blosxom/debian/2010-08-28-windows-applications-making-grub2-unbootable.html>

Be sure to read the comments to the Slashdot story.  With no standard
governing use of that non-partitioned area of the disk, it is perhaps not
surprising that is is not a good idea to depend on it.  Since I doubt the
proprietary world will do anything about it, I guess I hope that GRUB will
change to avoid the problem.

Has anyone seen this happen?  What system/software?  I am now wondering if
problem we saw with Roger's machine at the installfest could be related.  I
don't think so, but it might impact the new HP machine he bought.  See the
HP article reference and the fact the machine came with 4 primary partitions
already in place (only noting they are using some of the new techniques).

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson