Small & Quiet PC recommendations

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Fri Aug 27 17:00:29 MST 2010

Top posting because I have nothing specific to reply to...

I built a NAS box over the summer. It's very quiet with a very small
footprint. Its hardware was cheap, and is capable of more than being a
NAS (it's somewhat comparable to a netbook in "horsepower").

Here's what I did. Step one, find an Atom CPU/motherboard combo on
newegg. They run at about $60. I got this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186195&cm_re=atom-_-13-186-195-_-Product

It does the job, my only annoyance so far is that the BIOS stops booting
and waits for input if a keyboard and mouse aren't plugged in, so I
can't reboot remotely (shutting down? No problem!). From there, go to
"Browse More Combos" and start picking out your hardware. This deal
looks nice (in fact, it's exactly what I have).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.419871

 From there, all you need is a power supply, memory, a hard drive, and
whatever periphials you decide that you need. My NAS box has 1G of RAM
and two 1TB hard drives, it came out to about $250. If this sounds like
too much work, then I suggest this.

http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=91

That particular box is in use at my mom's CPA firm by the receptionist.
It's a really great computer, and system76 is a very good company.

Hope I helped!